17. Key Depository. A key depository should be provided where keys are secured. A
lockable container, such as a safe or filing cabinet, or a key depository made of at least 26
gauge steel equipped with a tumbler-type locking device and permanently affixed to a
wall will be used to and secure keys. Only primary keys will be maintained in the
depository for ease of accountability. Duplicate keys will be issued from a separate,
a. For effective control, accurate records should be maintained and periodic
physical inspections and inventories made. Inventories of keys should be conducted at
least annually. The main principles of this system include:
(1) Combinations or keys should be accessible only to those persons whose
official duties require access to them.
(2) Loss of the combination or key.
b. Issue of keys must be kept to a minimum and retained under constant key
control supervision. The following measures are recommended for control of keys:
(1) Keys should be stored in a locked, fireproof container when not in use.
(2) Access list for persons authorized to draw keys should be maintained in the
key storage container.
(3) Keys should not be issued for personal retention.
(4) Key containers should be checked at the end of each shift and all keys
Key control records should be maintained on all key systems.
18. Safety. Motivate your people to be "safety-conscious," and educate personnel on
practices to increase their safety. Keep track of trends or accident types and make the
necessary changes to operations or training to reduce injuries or damage to equipment.
Do not wait for accidents to happen before you initiate action. Make on-the-spot
corrections if you observe unsafe conditions or acts. Safety and fire prevention training in
contractor-operated facilities is the responsibility of the contractor. Ensure that safety is
included in all training.
a. General Responsibility for Safety. You are responsible for ensuring safety in the
day-to-day operation of the dining facility. Those procedures are:
(1) Accident prevention to the same extent that you are responsible for
production operations or services.
(2) Maintain a safe and healthful work place.