(1) Turn the handles of pots and pans so they point to the back or side of the
(2) Close the oven doors when not inserting or removing pans.
(3) Use pot-handling pads for hot items.
(4) Keep the floor under, around, and behind appliances clean.
(5) Clean up spills at once.
(6) Clean grease filters frequently.
(7) Give a warning when passing by servers.
(8) Change steam table inserts carefully.
(9) Do not rush when carrying hot pans of food.
(10) Do not spill grease on open flames.
d. Knives. Knives are probably the most dangerous items personnel use.
Constantly stress knife safety. When personnel know which knife to use and how to use
and care for it, there will be fewer accidents. Listed below are safety rules to follow when
(1) Make sure that knives are kept sharpened.
(2) Use a cutting board and not the palm of the hand.
(3) Cut away from the body.
(4) Do not try to catch a falling knife.
(5) Do not use knives to open cans, to punch holes in cans, or to pry off lids.
(6) Be very careful when carrying a knife. Always carry knives at your side
next to your leg.
(7) Wash knives separately from other utensils.
(8) Wash and store knives IMMEDIATELY after use.
(9) Store knives in a metal or plastic-slotted rack.