will contain sufficient spare parts to maintain the TWDS for approximately 3,600 hours of operation or 20 hours
of operation per day for 6 months.
c. Identify the crate marked "10-MILE SEGMENT." Unpack, inventory and inspect the contents.
(1) Remove a sufficient amount of swivel joints to install one at every other junction of the 500-foot
length of hose line. The usual installation of 10 miles of hose line will require about 50 swivel joints. Remove
the amount of victaulic couplings that is needed.
(2) Remove the items that will be needed to install the three road crossings, one suspension bridge,
and one pressure-reducing valve.
d. Have the soldiers identify the crates marked "HOSE ASSEMBLY, 6-INCH, 500-FEET." Each crate
contains four flaking boxes. Each flaking box contains one 500-foot length of hose line.
(1) Unpack only as many 500-foot lengths of hose line as required to complete the planned
installation of the TWDS.
(2) Inventory and inspect the 10-mile segment components.
e. Assemble the hose line.
(1) Organize and brief the crews. A minimum of two trucks with crews of five soldiers each is
recommended for hose-laying operations. Crews alternate between laying hose and reloading trucks.
Individual task assignments for each crewmember are as follows:
(a) One supervisor is needed per truck to oversee the hose laying operation. Should a problem
develop during hose-laying operations, the supervisor is responsible or contacting operators at the pumping
stations who are packing the hose line.
(b) One driver is needed to operate each truck.
(c) An assistant driver is needed to observe the hose laying operation. The soldier will tell the
driver to speed up. slow down, or stop the truck depending on the needs of the linewalkers straightening and
repositioning the hose line. The soldier must also observe the hose for catching and binding as it flakes out of
minimum of two linewalkers are needed to follow behind each truck and perform the
Straighten out kinks or bends in the hose line.
Remove small obstructions, branches, and sharp rocks which can damage the hose line.
Check that the swivel joints are installed at every 1,000 feet.
(2) Load the flaking boxes on the truck. A maximum of four boxes are loaded on the 5-ton cargo
truck. Prepare the boxes for flaking operation.
(3) Install the 6-inch hardwalled suction hose connecting the lead pumping station with the water