d. Responsibilities of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff are as follows:
(1) Provide an annual report on HNS agreements which support fuel-requirements, distribution
shortfalls, and the state of such negotiations to USD (A&T).
(2) Recommend contingency war reserve stock levels to the USD (A&T).
(3) Prescribe procedures for reporting DOD component petroleum planning data to alliance or other
host nation authorities involved in combined defense planning.
(4) Recommend changes to responsibilities of the Commander of Unified Commands
e. Responsibilities of Unified Commands.
(1) Plan, manage, and coordinate the receipt, storage, and distribution of petroleum products in
theater in coordination with the Director, DLA.
(2) Plan to convert from primary to alternate fuels as needed.
(3) Coordinate and prioritize DLA MILCON projects and qualified maintenance and repair projects
for petroleum facilities in theater; and coordinate DESC tankage leasing plans and related activities.
(4) Ensure fuels requirements, operations, and constraints are published/addressed in fuels annex of
(5) Negotiate in conjunction with DLA formal HNS and coordinate the development and release of
combined and/or alliance petroleum planning data.
(6) Release or reallocate BPWRS in an emergency or war.
(7) Direct DLA elements within their geographic area to ensure effective operations of storage and
distribution facilities following approval from DLA or CJCS. Approval is required for the coordination of:
(a) Movement or evacuation of personnel.
(b) Stockage and distribution of petroleum products.
(c) Acquisition or construction, maintenance, operation, and disposition of petroleum facilities
and associated services.
(8) Provide physical security and administrative and logistical support for DLA elements as specified
in interservice support agreements.