3-3. Review and Recommendations
The nutrition checklist serves as a guide to determine whether the nutrition
program in each AA dining facility is adequate or requires improvement. The
checklist is used to evaluate the effectiveness of AA dining facilities. Use the
discussion of general, menu, preparation and serving, and training standards
discussed earlier in this lesson to generate a specific checklist. The following
procedure will assist you when handling checklists:
Ensure that the responsible FA uses the checklist to evaluate quarterly
each dining facility that is within his area of supervision.
Provide a copy of the review, to include the findings and any
recommendations, to the commander who has operational control over
the dining facility.
Forward one copy of the review to the installation FA.
Ensure that the responsible FA retains a copy.
Make sure that the report includes the:
Signature and grade or rank of the responsible FA.
Ask the following questions to evaluate the general standards that you use for
all dining facilities:
1. Do the dining facility personnel adhere to the nutrition standards on weekdays.
weekends, and all holidays?
2. Is a salad bar available at lunch and dinner meals?
3. Is SB 10-264 used as a reference for all menu nutrient values?
4. Do diners who do not wish to select a complete meal have easy access to self-
service salad and beverage areas?
5. Does the dining facility management plan within the framework of the Daily
Food Guide (Food Guide Pyramid) to ensure the nutritional adequacy of the
Continued on next page