PO Box 1600
Huntsville, AL 35807-4301
e. The Scope and Detailed Cot Estimate must be verified by cognizant Corps of Engineers of NAVFAC
Engineering Field Division, NAVFAC Public Works Center, Air Force Base Engineering Function (using AF
Form 1178), or activities Public Works Departments.
a. To assist in assessing the relative importance of projects within a given funding program, all
correspondence must include a prioritized list of projects being submitted. DESC will consider each project's
content and the submitter's justification, and develop a consolidated priority list containing all projects proposed
for a given fiscal year. DESC will provide the Service/Major Command/CINC-JPO a copy of the MILCON
project priority list following the DESC IPRB and again following the DLA IPRFP with the estimated funding
b. The following criteria should be used to develop a justification statement; these criteria are not
necessarily listed in priority order:
(1) Mission Essential--the activity cannot or will not, by a specific date, be able to perform its fueling
(2) Required to comply with environmental, safety, fire protection, or other regulations or laws--the
specific regulation or law being violated must be specified and synopsized as part of the justification.
(3) Protection of product from loss or contamination--the justification should address how the project
(4) Economic payback--the project will result in an economic payback in a specified period of time.
(5) Directed by DLA/DESC or other higher authority.
(6) Efficiency of operation must be improved.
Project Eligibility for DLA/DESC Funding.
For a project to be eligible for DLA/DESC sponsorship for a MILCON project, it must directly support the DLA
bulk petroleum management mission. Only fixed, permanent facilities will be eligible for DLA/DESC MILCON