d. MILSPETS prescribes DOD standard forms, codes, data elements, formats, and related instructions to
document fuel transactions, provide product accountability/audit trail, and report/record transactions for DFAMS.
Where possible, codes and forms common to other DOD military service systems are used, such as MILSTRIP
and MILSTRAP. Each service has a representative on the MILSPETS committee. Through these representatives,
each service approves and coordinates any new programs requiring service participation.
e. After extensive systems design work and interservice coordination, DFAMS began operating in
DFAMS System Description.
a. Central to DFAMS is its computer-stored integrated data base which includes information files on:
(1) Procurement Contract Status. Information pertaining to DESC contracts for bulk petroleum and
(2) Transportation Management.
Information concerning military and commercial tankers,
commercial pipelines, truck movements, and other modes of transportation.
(3) Inventory Management. Provides stock control for each product at every terminal and pipeline
holding DLA-owned stock.
(4) Financial Information. Information on all accounts relating to DLA/DESC stocks.
NOTE: Any entry into the data base simultaneously updates all applicable files.
b. Data entries are made into the data base from:
(1) DESC. DESC conducts transactions for orders against bulk fuel contracts, reporting MSC tanker
shipments, management of some special inventory accounts such as floating storage and issuance of DPAs and
SIOATHs for tankers and overseas commanders.
(2) DFAMS. Reporting activities report all transactions that affect the stock status or ownership of
bulk fuel in the DESC wholesale system.
a. A transaction is any decision or action, such as an order, receipt, or shipment, which affects
ownership or inventory status of DLA-owned bulk fuel. The reporting of transactions is the chief way in which
the DFAMS data base is kept current with the many events involved in supplying fuel to the military services.
Transaction reporting begins where the decision or action occurs. There are over 200 DESPs that receive and