(3) Develop and maintain emergency/alternative plans for GOCO and COCO DFSPs under DESC
contracts and provide guidance to DFRs.
Terms and Definitions.
a. Terms and Definitions
(1) Theater - Geographical area in which a unified command (Army, Navy Air Force and Marines)
conducts military operations.
(2) Communications Zone (COMMZ) - Geographic area behind the corps rear boundary.
(3) Combat Zone - Geographical area from the Forward Line of Troops (FLOT) to the Corps rear
(4) Direct Support - Supply support that is provided to the using unit. Direct Support Units (DSU)
provide supplies and services to customer units.
(5) General Support - Supply support provided to Direct Support Units and other General Support
(6) Divisional - Units assigned or attached to a division.
(7) Nondivisional - Units not assigned or attached to a division.
b. Organization of the Army in the Field.
(1) Company - First major unit with command responsibility.
(2) Battalion - Can command and control up to five companies.
(3) Brigade - A brigade can consist of up to five infantry or armored battalions.
(4) Division - Largest self-supporting tactical unit in the Army. A division is normally composed of
three maneuver brigades, a field artillery brigade, an aviation brigade, and a support command.
(5) Corps - Largest tactical unit in the Army. A corps is generally composed of two or more
divisions and associated support elements.
(6) Army - Responsible for all planning, command and control of all Army Forces in a theater of
operations. A Theater Army is made-up of two or more corps and associated support elements.