(3) On discontinuance of an organization, distribute copies as above and send one
additional copy to the IM of the creating organization's next higher headquarters. Discontinued
organizations reporting directly to HQDA will send the copy to USAISC-P (ASQNS-OF-F),
Crystal Square 2, Suite 201, 1725 Jefferson Davis Highway; Arlington, VA 22202.
o. Distributing Completed SFs 135 and 135-A when Retiring Records.
(1) Offices which create records will keep them in their area until they receive approval
from their RHA to transfer them. The SF 135 and 135-A should be routed through
organizational information management channels to the installation IM who operates the RHA.
In turn, the RHA is normally the point from which records are retired to an FRC.
(2) The RHA will obtain prior approval to retire records by sending an original SF 135
and two copies to the FRC in time to arrive approximately 4 weeks prior to desired date of
shipment of the records. The RHA retiring the files will retain one copy. The FRC annotates the
forms with an accession number, box locations, a signature and returns two copies to the RHA
along with approval for retirement of the records.
(3) When the approved SF 135 is received from the FRC, continental United States
(CONUS) activities have 90 days and overseas activities have 120 days to retire the records
before the FRC's approval expires. If an approved SF 135 is not received within 30 working
days, contact the FRC to resolve the problem.
(4) With a few exceptions, records accessioned into an FRC remain Army property and
the originator of the records must know their location. The FRC will provide a copy of the SF
135 showing the accession number to the office which created the records. If the office of origin
no longer exists, the copy is sent to the next higher headquarters IM.
(5) Records may be shipped in one or more boxes. If more than one box is used, put the
SFs 135 in the first box of the shipment.
(6) The RHA will send one copy of each approved SF 135 listing records retired to an
FRC to USAISC-P (ASQNS-OP-F) Crystal Square 2, Suite 201, Jefferson Davis Highway,
Arlington, VA 22202. It will be included in the world-wide locator of Army records holdings.
(7) When records of a discontinued unit are listed, send one copy of the SF 135
completed by the RHA or FRC to the IM of the discontinued organization's next higher
Supplemental Data when Organizational Status has Changed.
Attach to the original SF 135 and 135-A a description or chart of the new organizational status,
relationships to higher headquarters, and a list of all files sent to another organization in a
transfer of functions or retired directly to an FRC, when applicable.
Receipts for SECRET documents.
Commanders of organization heads will decide if SECRET documents being retired must be
identified individually on the SF 1354. The FRC will sign the SF 135 but will not sign other
types of classified document receipts. DA Form 3964 may be used in addition to the SF 135
when transferring records between Army organizations.