asset. You will be able to conduct unit distribution operations with those units whom have no transportation
assets. You will also be able to move with and deliver to those forward advancing maneuver units that cannot
come back to fill up at the water distribution points due to mission requirements.
7. The M1098 is a 5,000-gallon semitrailer, potable water-dispensing tank. This trailer is designed to be towed
by a truck tractor with a fifth wheel. Authorized 5-ton tractors are the M52A2, M818, M931A1, M932, and
M932A1. The M915 and the M915A1, which are the 10-ton military adapted commercial 6x4 truck tractors,
are also authorized when driving on hard surfaces only.
8. This 5,000-gallon potable water dispenser can be loaded through the top or bottom fill openings. A one-
cylinder, four-stroke diesel engine and unique pump assembly provide self load/unload capability. The diesel
engine, rated at l0 horsepower, and the centrifugal pump are the major pumping components. At maximum
engine horsepower, the self-priming pump has a performance rating of 250-GPM at 15 PSI and 50-GPM at 96
9. Monitor M1098 tanker operations. Remember that death or severe injury may result if soldiers do not
observe precautions listed in TMs when operating the M1098. Run the engine on diesel fuel only. Running the
engine on gasoline or a mixture of diesel fuel and 10 percent or more of gasoline will damage the engine. Make
sure water is flowing through the pump within two minutes after starting the engine, otherwise damage may
occur to the pump's mechanical seal. Never allow soldiers to operate engines around open fuel or to refuel hot
or running engines. Make sure soldiers do not overfill fuel tanks and that they keep open flame and sparks
away from the fuel tank and battery. Never allow soldiers to operate water pumps against a closed suction or
discharge valve, since this may cause overheating of the pump. Require soldiers to wear hearing protection
whenever they are within 50 feet of operating pumps.. Check that all 10- and 20-level soldiers under your
supervision know, understand, and follow the correct operating procedures for the tanker.
a. Water Issue and Distribution Procedures. Ensure your subordinates properly supervise water issue
and distribution operations. Soldiers must:
(1) Perform before-operation PMCS.
(2) Open the emergency valve that feeds the water to all of the outlets.
(3) Close all of the drain cocks on the pump.
(4) Observe all connections for leaks and proper seal.
(5) Close the discharge valve.
(6) Start the engine by using either the electric starter or the rope start method. Ensure the soldier is
using the compression release whenever starting the engine. The compression release relieves a heavy load on
the starter while it is cranking.
(7) Open the discharge valve. Shut the unit off if the pump is not delivering water within two
minutes of starting.
b. Filling a M1098 Tanker From a Source Not Under Pressure. Ensure your subordinates properly
supervise tanker filling from a source not under pressure. Soldiers must: